Saturday, June 16, 2018

Where did the time go?

As I read what my peers or adults wrote in my year book one message is repeatedly written. That I will change the world for the good and be an amazing educator. As you all know, I am heart broken to be leaving this school. Scared to see what the next chapter in my life will bring and what comes after that. One of my biggest fears is that I will not accomplish what everyone hopes or thinks I will do. That I won’t be the teacher my students need me to be, that I won’t become an administrator, that I won’t love the educational field as much as I say I do or hope to. But, I do know that I accomplished everything and more while I was in this school. 

I walked into this school as a pompous, lost person, but who still wanted to be a leader and leave an impact. It took a lot of tribulations to do so. Before my first marking period was over I didn’t make the volleyball team or BOTC team and didn’t become president. 15 marking period laters there were more failures than accomplishments, but they outweigh the failures. What I love to look back at the most is the journey I went on to become who I am. To reflect on how I reacted in certain situations and how I grew from all of them. To remember how I thought I could never overcome the hurtle in front of me, but here I am. To look back and say thank god I met that person or wonder what I would have done without them. This school has given me so much and can truly call it a second home. In sophomore year I was able to create a club to send soldiers care packages in Georgia. It was amazing to see their smiles in pictures they sent back. In junior year I became part of Spanish honor society and started to make a real impact on my school. Senior year I joined art honor society, gave a speech in front of hundreds of eighth graders, won a scholarship, ran stang gang, and got the principals appreciation award. In between doing that, being an activist, and studying, I made it a priority to talk to the people who have helped me get to where I am today. Seeing friends in the morning to catch up or staying after to talk to educators. 

When I think of freshman year, I remember a girl once telling me that I didn’t deserve to be president. That people only said they would vote for me for candy. Though I was very bitter about it then, I agree I didn’t deserve it then. But, I made it my goal to prove her wrong. I now think back to June 7th and know I proved her wrong. On June 7th I was honored to be given the principals appreciation award. From a principal who is brand new, from a principal who also helped me grow so much. I only wish I could see him change this school for the better as a student and not as an alumni. I also think back to October, my peer leadership class made up superlatives. I of course won, to keep in contact with my teachers, but also most likely to be president of United States. The girl who said that to me in freshman year, voted for me for that superlative, yet again showing I accomplished my goal. I made it my goal to not be liked by all of my peers, because that will never happen. But, made it my goal to be respected by them. I’m the person asked about upcoming events, if they can or can’t do something, etc. I had the pleasure of tutoring/ mentoring these 2 juniors. As I got to know them, they also got to know me. One of them asked “how will this school run without you” and the other said “not like it used to”. Bringing a smile to my face, but sadness to my heart that I won’t be able to tutor them next year. That I won’t be able to yell at them to get to class, ironic I know! But, I am excited see them flourish into the intelligent, caring people they are. 

The saying is that it takes a village to raise a child and I couldn’t agree more. I told my favorite person that I think of it like this: my parents planted a seed and helped a flower start to grow, but it was my village at school that helped this flower flourish, by giving it everything and more. If it is from confidence, patience, life lessons, and love, they gave me everything I needed to flourish.  These individuals became the people who were there at my happiest moments, saddest moments, and everything in between. They were the people I confided to, but also laughed with, too. They were the people who only wanted the best for me, so at times they had to give tough love. These people are the reason that it will break my heart to graduate. 

It freaks me out to think that in September I won’t walk into a class and know every single person. It freaks me out that I won’t stop and talk to administrators. It freaks me out that I won’t be a leader of the school. For at least 4 years I have gotten to know 99% of my grade and it has been a pleasure to also see them grow into leaders and people with bright futures ahead. I only wish each and everyone of them the best of luck in their next endeavors. I know that the class of 2018 will only change this world for the good and I am so excited to watch and be part of it happen. It freaks me out that we’re now “adults”...

I only hope that I can make the difference and positive lasting impact I did in Marlboro, in Stockton. That in 4 years I’ll be giving speeches at orientations and that I lead clubs and am a voice for my peers.


I’d like to take the time to thank James for letting me run this account with him. I wouldn’t be who I am without it or him. I am forever grateful, James. I would also like to thank my “squad” as I always say. Sra. Saraceni, Ms. Popiel, Mrs. Campanero, Ms. DiLorenzo (Dizzy) Mrs. Andreacci, and the 2 most important... Mr. Uplinger, who has given the confidence to speak up and speak out. Who is the prime example of the type of teacher I want to be and my all time favorite teacher.  Finally, Wonder Woman, Mrs. Bruno. If you didn’t call me down freshman year and didn’t go out of your way to help me grow, none of this would have happened. There isn’t a way to express my gratitude, appreciation, and love for my village. I am forever grateful and have undying love for all of you. Though my students will not know any of you, they will hear of you, and be grateful for all of you, as you have all helped shape me into who will be their teacher, favorite teacher that is.  There isn’t a way for me to say good bye, because it’s see you later MHS, and next time you’ll be calling me Ms. Greenbaum...



Senior- Margo Greenbaum 

No comments:

Post a Comment